The student news site of Langham Creek High School

LC Howler

LC Howler

LC Howler

1,000 Points and Counting

Girls basketball is in full swing, with a 13-2 record. However, there is something to add to the start of this season. Senior point guard and Texas State University commit Heather Baymon broke the 1,000 point milestone before Thanksgiving break.

1,000 career points is never an easy accomplishment in high school, but for Baymon, she made it look easy. 

“I feel good,” Baymon said. “I’m kind of not satisfied because I was trying to get it last year, but it’s actually pretty good.” 

Baymon’s road to 1,000 points was noticeably different from others that achieved this milestone in the past. At the beginning of her sophomore year, she suffered an ACL injury that sat her for the remainder of the season. 

“The question in my mind was mainly ‘Was I going to return the same, get worse, or get better?’” Baymon said.

Baymon answered her own question junior year when she returned from the ACL injury and won Offensive Player of the Year for the district.

“To come back from an ACL injury, none have come back as good as she has that I have coached,” Girls Basketball head coach Annette Steward said.

Alongside the ACL injury, Baymon also reached the milestone in an orderly fashion.

“Really, she hit her 1,000th point in just 2 seasons. Her freshman year and her junior year, because she didn’t even play her sophomore year,” Coach Steward said. “I’ve had many players reach 1,000 points, but they normally take 4 years.”

The 1,000 point milestone also holds symbolic significance after Baymon’s unfortunate sophomore season.

“To see Heather reach it in 2 years really means a lot because I know how much hard work she put in off of rehab and training,” Coach Steward said. 

As Baymon mentioned, she is not satisfied with the current milestone.

“Right now, I am trying to get 1,500, so I am trying to challenge myself,” Baymon said. 

Baymon leads the team into district play with a home opener on December 8th vs. Bridgeland High School.

View Comments (1)