The student news site of Langham Creek High School

LC Howler

LC Howler

LC Howler

Running Through Injuries

Injuries are a common occurrence among athletes, especially for senior track and field runner, Louden Hagerty. However, the injuries have not obstructed Hagerty’s ability to bounce back and still be a top-notch competitor.

Last year was a great year for Lobo Track and Field, with records being broken frequently towards the end of the season. Hagerty helped contribute to breaking the 4×400 meter relay, where the previous record stood for over 20 years.

“We went all the way to regionals so experiencing that was pretty cool,” Hagerty said.

Last spring was a good season for the track team with records being broken throughout all the meets, but a few months before that, there were question marks on how Hagerty would perform.

“Beginning of junior year track, I dropped a weight on my foot and broke it,” Hagerty said. “I missed half the season.”

This injury was not Hagerty’s first injury to keep him out for part of the season.

“Sophomore year, I had bursitis in my ankle so I was out the whole year,” Hagerty said.

The consecutive injuries gave Hagerty thoughts to end his running career early.

“After the injury junior year, I just wanted to give up,” Hagerty said. “but I had faith in myself and my parents helped me out and gave me some words of wisdom.”

After those two injuries, Hagerty was still able to advance to the area meet last year, and he even broke his personal best in the 400-meter dash this season with a 49.88.

Despite different injuries, Hagerty still has thoughts about pursuing track after high school.

“If the school is in Texas and has a decent engineering program, then sure I’ll go there,” Hagerty said.

With a few weeks left in Hagerty’s high school track career, he hopes to advance to the regional meet this year, one-upping his individual performance from last year.