The student news site of Langham Creek High School

LC Howler

LC Howler

LC Howler

Softball strike out cancer game

Recently the softball team played their Strike Out Cancer game to show support in the fight against cancer. They aimed for victory, but also to raise awareness. 

“Usually we don’t have a lot of people coming to our games,” sophomore Gabriela Brookshire said. “This year, we had a lot more supporters, and people come out to the game.”

While this game is for a great cause, it still goes towards advancing to districts. 

“We won and we played well, right now we’re trying to be district champs and trying to go to state,” Junior Mckenna Simmons said. 

While the game went well, some things could’ve been better. 

“I think it’d be better if we had people dress out more, and I feel like that would make a lot more of an impact,” Brookshire said. 

There were many heartwarming moments during the game with one standing out. 

“A little boy, his name is Nolan, threw out the first pitch because he had cancer,” Simmons said. “It was a cute moment.”

The game showed community support and was well put together. 

“This year it was a lot more organized, we did a lot more like helping with the family and giving back,” sophomore Rebekah Foster said. 

For one player personally, she had a close connetion to this game. 

“This meant a lot because I had a grandma that passed away from cancer, so having this was just so special,” Foster said. 

This game means a lot to the players that brings everyone together for a good cause.

“It’s been my favorite game every year,” Simmons said. “And It’s for a good cause, so overall those games will always be special to me.”