The student news site of Langham Creek High School

LC Howler

LC Howler

LC Howler

Band UIL

Band participated in their yearly UIL competition on Wednesday, April 17.

“We spent three months practicing just three pieces of music, which seems very tedious, but all that work and drive you just put into one day,” junior Lauren Hall said. “It’s so rewarding once you get on that stage and you can perform it to a high quality.”

Performing under the pressure of judgment is no easy feat.

“The combination of your nerves and the bright lights,” Hall said. “You start sweating on stage, and it makes the experience not that great.”

Hall, who played for the wind ensemble for the first time this year, reflected on her pre-show jitters. 

“I was really nervous because I’ve gone to UIL before, but it’s never been this high of stakes,” Hall said. “I was chugging up my water bottle just standing outside the stage, but once I got onstage, I got more comfortable and into the groove, trying not to overthink.”

For freshman Daniel Maravilla, UIL was a “really fun experience.”

“Before performing, I felt prepared,” freshman Daniel Maravilla said. “The stage was really hot and the sound was really nice. After, I felt like we accomplished something; it felt like it was over but actually isn’t, we have a lot of stuff to do after. We’re proud.”

The musicians practiced day and night to prepare for this one day.

“[My favorite part of UIL is] preparing music that you get to perfect and perform for an audience, and perfecting it to the best it can be with a specific group,” senior Justin Nguyen said.

Each year, UIL is a new experience, but the people band students work with are what make the competition enjoyable.

“This one, I got a lot of solos in, but also it’s always a different group of people, so it’s a different type of vibe or energy with all these other people,” Nguyen said.

After months of anticipation and energy, there is no greater feeling than finishing a performance with high spirits. 

“I felt relieved and felt great about it because of all the adrenaline and everything in the moment,” Nguyen said.

Without the band students’ work ethic and determination, they would not have been able to achieved what they did at UIL.

“Last year, we took our performance for granted so we didn’t get the results we wanted, so this year, we definitely prepared ourselves a lot more and we got a better mindset that we’re not getting handed out 1s for free, we have to earn our 1s,” Hall said. “And so I’ve learned that you can’t take anything for granted. Even if you think you’re really good, you never know what’s gonna happen on the day, so you have to try your best.”