Banned Book Project

The Banned book project is an assignment in Mr.Smith’s Digital media class, where students will be designing a book cover from a specific list called “the banned book list” which is maintained by the American Library Association.

“This is one of the most interesting projects we have done this year,” Laura Swader said .

The list of books were usually banned from schools, because a parent complains about it or a teacher does. “It’s mostly about books that have been censored in some way.” Smith said.

First the students will submit a plethora of ideas, then they proceed to read about a specific book and get the major plot points and the theme of that novel. After that, they will have to visually interpret the book for themselves.

“This project is a good way to get the students thinking creatively, because many of the books we are doing are super meaningful” Swader said. “It gives me chills when I think about the book covers we’re making, because many of them are so symbolic.”

Mr. Smith explained that this is just for fun and to see what his creative digital media students could come up with. This will give the students an opportunity to try and find the reason as to why authorities banned some of these books from schools, libraries, etc. They have been doing smaller stuff to lead up to this major project such as text design, how to do image based work, and non-image based work. The students will be working on it for the next week or so.