Sweeping the competition at VASE

Beginning in February 92 of our Visual Art students participated in the National Scholastic Arts Competition. Winning 32 awards, the students have accomplished many accolades with the 9 Gold Keys 12 Silver Keys and 11 Honorable Mentions along with weeks and weeks of practice and preparation for the event ready to showcase their work.

Along with accomplishments from the Visual Art students, on Saturday February 25th Langham Creek sent 82 students to participate in the Regional UIL VASE competition and earned 73 medals, advancing 11 students to the state event. State qualifiers will compete once again at the San Antonio in April. Along with all the State qualifiers totaling up to 25, Langham Creek dominated at the competitions with the most amount of medals earned from any high school.

Students who participated in the competition submit their work of art that they have worked numerous days and in some cases weeks.

“So I’m going to state with 2 pieces. The one that got into state was the prism color one, and actually I’m quite proud of that one,” sophomore Huan Vu said.

Even students who have participated in VASE already weren’t totally  prepared for what was to come.

“It was pretty exciting, I’ve been to vase before last year and so being my 2nd year entering my photos, I was pretty confident with what I had,” sophomore Alec Martinez said.

However not just experienced artists had made such great success upon entering the competition.

“It is my first time going to this competition, incidentally it’s my first time going to state so for any aspiring artist who’s having doubts to even making state, I think you should try anyway,” sophomore Katie Humphries said.

Alec Martinez will be showcasing his art at Carnegie Hall in New York as part of the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards. On June 8th Alec will be leaving for New York to showcase his work.