Science Olympiad Going to State

Science Olympiad has been working hard year-round for competition, and their hard work is starting to pay off. They will be going to state in the Science Olympiad UIL competition in College Station April 21st and 22nd.

“We feel confident in a top ten finish,” Science Olympiad sponsor Russell Hickerson said.

This confidence is not founded on just hope, however, according to Hickerson and the students themselves.

“Our team is composed of freshmen, sophomores and juniors- no seniors, which is the thing I’m proud of,” Hickerson said. This team is becoming successful with no senior participation this year. We’re eligible for state and we expect to do well at state, despite the fact that we’re competing with teams that will have five or six seniors on them.”

The team has earned a total of 19 medals so far this year, and they’re certain that all that they’ve learned over the year will pay off at state and add a few more to that number.

“We’ve figured out which events are good for which members, and I’ve seen everyone just progressively get better at their events and we’re winning a lot more medals,” state team member Chloe Tang said.

The team will be participating in a number of events this competition, ranging from Anatomy and Physiology to things like Hydro-geology and Rocks and Minerals. Although other students cannot go directly to the competition to cheer the participants, they can support them through social media and encourage them at school. We wish the team the best of luck as they go to state, go Lobos!