Tryouts coming for musical

The story behind the musical Music Man is not like any you have heard before, and auditions are just around the corner . The auditions are Tuesday, May 23rd and 24th in the auditorium. Whoever wishes to spread their talents among the show may audition; there are no special requirements needed from the students.

“I’m excited to do the musical,” junior Riley Griffin said. “I think that because we’re having auditions early, we will have a good chance to get to know the musical even more; like over the summer we would have more time to learn the lines and steps.”

The auditions will be held early because students will have to be prepared for the show when they come back from summer vacation. The rehearsal process will take around 8 weeks during the fall. It will also allow the student technical design team time to get their final designs ready for when they return back from school.

“We’ve been working on this show since the beginning of April,” Director Katie Cross said.

This musical is about a traveling salesman that is trying to make a quick buck by convincing small towns that he will form a marching band, but, instead of making a band he cheats them out of their money. When Harold comes to River City, Iowa he encounters a small town that at first is not a fan of Harold. During the musical we see how Harold brings life and music to the town through the help of the local librarian, Marian. At the end we see how Harold has a positive impact on the town and how the town changes Harold for good.

“I have to prepare an original musical theatre song and practice like there’s no tomorrow. ” sophomore Vivian Gutierrez said.

Music Man will be a big production and take a lot of hard work to put together, especially since theatre won’t be the only organization working on it. They will be working with Choir, Dance, and a faculty/staff ensemble that will have a cameo in the show.

“This is our Fine Arts Musical, that means we are incorporating as many fine arts programs that we can,” Cross said. “It is a rather large scale musical so we need lots of people both onstage and off.”

The musical is scheduled to be shown next school year on October 26th-29th. Tickets will be $15.00 for General Admission and $20.00 for VIP Tickets, that include preferred seating and a special VIP Lounge during intermission.