Annual Model UN Conference

The Annual Houston Area Model United Nations Conference is quickly approaching. This year, the event will be taking place on January 25th and 26th at the University of Houston. In this education simulation of the United Nations, students are placed in committees and serve as delegates for certain countries in order to help solve world problems and issues. The scholars hope to pass at least one resolution at the end on the second day of debate.

“I think that this will be a great year for Model UN, especially since our school’s club members had the option of choosing the United States as a country, seeing as how it’s one of the most powerful nations,” junior Sean Sheikh said.

Sheikh is president of the organization this year and is responsible for leading the club meetings and debates. Model UN is a club where many students are able to share their opinions about world affairs.

“I have never felt stressed or nervous when having to talk in front of other students. Once I introduce myself and begin talking, I feel very comfortable,” Sheikh said.

The members of this extracurricular activity meet every other Tuesday after school in room 2212 to prepare for this yearly convention.

“My favorite part about the conference is all the creative and often strange solutions that we come up with to the problems we are trying to solve,” senior Shannon Pattison said. “Last year we had to find a way to get clean water to the whole world, our solution was to only drink soda.”

The sponsor of the club is Mr. Dean, a U.S. History teacher.

“I was actually a member of the 4th and 5th Model UN conference when I was in high school and when I heard that our school didn’t have this club, I just knew I had to be the sponsor and begin this awesome organization,” Mr. Dean said.

There are a variety of committees that students can choose to be a part of. The World Health Organization, United Nations Environment Programme, Human Rights Council, and the Economic and Social Council are some of the assemblies available.

“I will be a delegate for the United States in the DISEC committee this year and I feel that I will be fully prepared for this conference,” Sheikh said.

Each committee has 2 designated topics that will be the center of discussion for the students. As part of their research, students are required to write position papers for these topics, explaining their country’s history and stance with the mater.

“We have been working with the new members through the last few meetings, answering all their questions, and giving them examples, so they know what to do in any situation,” Pattison said.

There are 29 students in Model UN this year. Pattison, who is serving as the vice president of the organization, is one of the few students who are responsible of  teaching the newcomers how to speak in a closed debate. This year’s conference is sure to be a big success for students all across Houston.