LC Howler

The Case for Meme Day

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Case for Meme Day

Drake Drymond, Assistant Head Editor

Each year, all across the country high school students participate in unique “dress-up” days to celebrate homecoming. This is a great, and longstanding tradition, this year the dress up days have been selected as: class color day, Rock star day (Hippie vs Hipster for Seniors), Character day, Athlete vs Mathlete day (Space day for Seniors), and Spirit/Mum day.  These days are a combination of new, unique ideas such as character day going along with Halloween, and traditional ones such as Class color, and Spirit day, however something is missing; Meme day. It is a fundamental issue that has plagued Langham Creek High for years, and it’s time to catch up.

In order to properly understand why Langham needs Meme day, you must first know what a meme is; Dictionary.com defines a meme as: “a cultural item in the form of an image, video, phrase, etc., that is spread via the Internet and often altered in a creative or humorous way”. Essentially memes are a form of on-line humor meant to make people laugh. Why is something that is intended to be entertaining and unique, not part of a week that is entertaining and unique. While some will say that memes can be inappropriate or offensive, memes are, down to their core humorous jokes.  I firmly believe that we should include these jokes as a new and inventive way to liven up homecoming week.

Mark Twain once said: “Against the assault of laughter, nothing can stand.” This quote exemplifies the power of laughter; this is especially relevant in today’s world, in which we could all use more laughter in our lives. Plain and simple, laughter brings joy and excitement into peoples lives, and memes can be an avenue to that laughter, so lighten up and approve meme day for the smiles of the students.