Class Ring Alternatives

Photo from The Red & Black.

Upperclassmen are hounded every year about the high school tradition of class rings, and they may be in for a big shock this year when they receive the class rings catalog from our official supplier, Balfour.

“I think that the price is outrageous,” senior Madison Sacco said. “Considering the fact that most people would only wear it their high school years, and they are not the best-looking rings.”

With typical prices at about $300 for sterling silver and $500 or more for 10K or 14K gold, and the lowest price on Balfour being $285.95, the cost of class rings is out of reach for many families. However, if you had your heart set on a class ring, you have more options than you may think to get something at a reasonable price.

“We make high school class rings and college rings.” MinimalistDesigns spokesman Melissa said.  “If you send us the sketch of your high school logo, we will send your draft sketch for your approval and begin the ring making process.”

MinimalistDesigns is one of hundreds of jewelers on Etsy making rings for high school graduates for lower prices than Balfour can offer.

There are also some deals to be had by shopping at jewelry stores, and it’s a great option if you want your ring in a more valuable metal like 10K or 14K gold. Kay Jewelers and James Avery offer beautiful rings with customization options.

“I would much rather spend my money on a nice ring from James Avery, or any other jewelry store, that I will wear for a long time,” Sacco said. “You could get 4 rings that are more pretty and more sentimental at James Avery.”

And Walmart might not be the first place that comes to mind when shopping for class rings, but with rings starting as low as $58 and a good selection under $100, it can be a great option if you are on a tight budget. As with other retailers, your best option to keep the cost down is to limit yourself to lower-quality metals like Sterling Silver, as 14K gold will run you between $100–$400 even at Walmart.

Walmart’s website boasts “Perfect class rings for the scholar with a wonderful fashion sense. Our personalized rings make a great gift for the special day of the year and are even available in full and half sizes.”

So don’t be frustrated because it feels like graduation accessory companies are pressuring you and your friends to buy different packages, there are options for every budget.