LC Howler

6 Prospects the Texans should keep an eye on for the 2019 draft

Drake Drymond, Assistant Head Editor

The Houston Texans are on the clock.

Following an 11-5 season and a division championship the Texans hold the 23rd overall pick in the first round, in addition to back-to-back picks in the 2nd round at 54, and 55 overall among 4 other picks in later rounds. Here are some prospects that should be considered in those first 3 picks.

1. Taylor Rapp- S Washington- Tyran Mathieu is gone to the Kansas City Chiefs and the Texans must fill that void. Rapp is a very similar player to Mathieu in the way that he is solid in coverage and has a great presence in the box.
  2. Andre Dillard- T Washington State- Dillard dominated at the Senior Bowl and Combine and has secured his spot in the 1st round. Tackle should be the top priority after the Julien Davenport experiment went terribly wrong. Watson must be protected, and Dillard is a potential day 1 starter.
  3. Josh Jacobs- RB Alabama- Jacobs is the RB1 in this draft but could end up going anywhere from the top 10 to early 2nd round because of his position. Lamar Miller is set to have the 6th highest pay amongst running backs this season; cutting or trading him and drafting Jacobs could fill the void and save money on a younger better back that would blend nicely with Blue and Foreman and likely emerge as a work horse.
  4. J. Arcega-Whiteside- WR Stanford- Similar to Miller, Demaryius Thomas was set to have a major hit on the Texans cap in 2019 costing 8.5 million dollars. At 31 and coming off an injury the Texans cut Thomas and now must look elsewhere to a player such as Arcega-Whiteside to fill the role as a crucial red zone target for Deshaun Watson to pair with Coutee, Fuller, and Hopkins.
  5. Trayvon Mullen- CB Clemson- The Texans have work to do in the secondary, specifically at corner. Johnathan Joseph is inconsistent, aging, and it shows; Kareem Jackson is gone and now must be replaced. Mullen is a long physical corner that had great success at Clemson as their shutdown corner, and he could help make up for the failure that was Kevin Johnson and act as a long-term starter.
  6. Garrett Bradbury- C NC State- The interior of the Texans O-line is weak, and Bradbury would act as a significant upgrade as he excels in pass protection with his lower body and displays solid technique in the run game. He could be a day one starter and help sure up the interior of the offensive line.
Drake Drymond, Assistant Head Editor

Hi, my name is Drake Drymond. I am a junior. I have been on the newspaper staff for 3 years, and have acted as Sports Editor, Site Editor, and Assistant...