Meeting Millstein

Not a lot of juniors have much in common besides maybe stress and hunger, but if you listen to enough juniors one name will come up more often than not, Isaac Millstein. Mr. Millstein is an eccentric teacher here for English 3 Dual Credit and L. He is well educated with multiple degrees from multiple nationally recognized universities.

“I have four degrees, a bachelors from UT, Austin and Louisiana Lafayette, and two masters, one from Bama and the other from SFA,” Millstein said.

While he may have multiple degrees, starting out college was a difficult task.

“I was the first one in my family to go to college and I didn’t have a lot of understanding of what college was like, and high school was just so stupidly easy that I never had to study for anything,” Millstein said. “I didn’t have any study skills when I got my first degree from UT, I graduated with a C average which was too low to get a teaching credential, so I went back to school so I could become a teacher,” Millstein said.

Mr. Millstein had known for several years that he had wanted to be a teacher as opposed to an office job or other careers he could get with his degrees.

“Working in an office is very boring, I’ve had lots of boring jobs, teachings always a challenge, it’s interesting,” Millstein said.

His decision to be an English major and eventual teacher stemmed from his passion for English. This even trickled down into naming his son.

“I named my son after Bram Stoker the author of Dracula,” Millstein said.

Getting this far, with this many degrees would be near impossible without help. He has had multiple influences and motivations in his life, chiefly his wife.

“My wife has been very influential in pushing and helping me, she’s a PHD,” Millstein said.

While there are some rules, such as deadlines in Millstein’s classroom, he likes to keep the class lighthearted and help students who are struggling.

“I think they recognize that I actually care and try to keep it funny,” Millstein said.

The struggles and experiences from his life gave Millstein a unique perspective for teaching the variety of students he teaches. While some students view his adherence to deadlines as uncaring, he views it as his responsibility to prepare them for the real world.

“The stress never ends,” Millstein said. “When you get to college there’s stress, when you go to work there’s stress, learning how to deal with the stress now is important because it never really gets any better.”