HOSA Competition

The HOSA club participated in its first competition this year on Friday, January 27.

“I had very good memories,” sophomore Katelinn Barnes said. “It was really nice.”

The students attended “after school practices every day” to prepare for the competition. 

“We learned how to splint things and got different scenarios,” Barnes said.

The competition gave students an opportunity to grow closer relationships with one another.

“I really liked how we were able to make a big giant family in the waiting room while we were all competitors,” sophomore Alyssa Vanportfleet said. “It was a very chill environment.”

For some students, it was their first time participating in a HOSA competition and gaining new experiences.

“It felt pretty cool to see people in the environment,” Barnes said. “It’s basically like seeing my future coworkers, and I think that was pretty fun.”

This year, Langham also had a new coach to help train students for competition.

“It was a lot of hard work honestly,” Health Science Teacher Mr. De Los Santos said. “This is my first year here at Langham Creek High School, so I was starting back from square one.”

Involvement in HOSA also gave the teachers happiness, being able to work with the students.

“[My favorite part was] the kids, honestly, seeing them excited,” Mr. De Los Santos said. “Just being able to spend time with them, getting to know those particular kids a little bit better, them getting to know me a bit better, and just us having fun and making competition practice fun.”

The competition benefited both students and teachers taking part. 

“I’m one of those EMTs that loves teaching and also loves passing what I know down to the next generation,” Mr. De Los Santos said.