The student news site of Langham Creek High School

LC Howler

LC Howler

LC Howler

500th Win for Coach Steward

Coach Steward alongside coaching staff and players after her 500th win.

The Lady Lobo Basketball team defeated Cy Park in dominant fashion by 51 points on January 30th to improve to 9-2 in district play. However, that win was more special than just a blowout win – it marked the 500th win for the Girls’ Head Coach, Annette Steward. 

“It’s been 24 years and I did all 500 here,” Steward said. 

24 years is quite some time, and it makes it even more special that the Lady Lobos have had continued success under Steward.

“I feel like Langham has just been my home,” Steward said. “I love the culture here.”

After many successful seasons, she still enjoys every win.

“All the wins are my favorites, and I have had a lot of favorite memories,” Steward said.

While Steward has been the coach, the Lady Lobos have reached the regionals of the state tournament on three different occasions. 

“I’ve had good teams and good coaches that I’ve worked with,” Steward said.

Steward has helped produce multiple Division 1 basketball players, as well as sending additional players to the college level to continue playing basketball.

Although having the reputation of being a winning head coach, she does not want to only win, she wants the best for her players.

“I want them to work hard every day, wanting them to be better, whether that’s in the classroom or on the court,” Steward said. “I want them to just be their best every day.”

“We plan on going to regionals again this year,” Steward said. “Getting to the regional tournament is the furthest we have been in the playoffs.”

Hopefully, the Lady Lobos can break through the regional barrier that the previous Lobo teams could not.

Steward’s next personnel milestone she wants to reach? 600 wins.

“I would like to get 600, but that is going to take continued success and a lot more wins,” Steward said. “5 or 6 more years maybe.”

The Lady Lobos have two district games left before the end of the regular season, where they go into the postseason and hope to make it to state regionals again.