Senior Year – Planning for the Future

Senior year of high school is the time to start thinking about the future and what it is you want to do with your life. There are various possibilities offered to incoming young adults, but do this year seniors know what they are?

“I feel like the school tries its best to educate kids on their next steps for their education,” senior Kenna Valadez said. “But it’s been difficult due to COVID. I do feel like the updates in the Seniors 2020-2021 group on Schoology is insightful.”

Through the Schoology group for seniors, they have been able to access resources and find information on activities at school, as well as college information. Though some seniors feel that the school does not acknowledge the students that don’t see themselves going to college.

“I think our school addresses doing something without a future enough,” senior Lauren Campbell said. “However, I believe that the way they address it is neglectful of many students. I wish they’d also provide more information on alternatives, because college is NOT for everyone, despite the stigma.” 

This is why people need to know that the school provides a specialist meant for advising seniors and juniors to get a plan for their future; regardless of whether it involves college or going straight into the workforce. Many students are unaware of this advisor due to the previous year being cut.

“What I am finding with our current graduating class is many students seem to be feeling uncertain of processes due to a lack of preparation and ‘in-person’ support that is usually conducted in the Spring of Junior Year,” College and Career Specialist Sandra Poag said. “I am always trying new things to educate and expose students to the benefits of training/education and the large/diverse number of career options out there.”

Seniors need to understand that if they are planning on attending college, it is best to look up information regarding schools and the application process. Even if other adults do not help.

“I had to navigate the application process pretty much on my own,” Valadez said. “I utilized YouTube videos and other online resources to try to figure out the process and its requirements.”

The guiding hand of someone who knows the process can help even more to keep the senior accountable, stay on track, and provide opportunities they would not typically get on their own.

“I have conducted college field trips and tours for students at a variety of locations,” Poag said. “I attend annual training with college and university campuses to have the most current admission information to share with Counselors, students, and parents – since College admissions are such a fluid, evolving process.”

Even if a senior isn’t planning on attending a college, or going to a trade school, but rather plans on going straight into the workforce, a guiding hand is still helpful.

“We want the number to be 100% because we want ALL Lobos to have a plan and a path to create a successful life after graduation,” Poag said. “I truly believe there is something for everyone and I want to help each student find their purpose.”

Whether it’s attending college, or getting a job, seniors need to start thinking about their future; it does not have to be set in stone, but starting to get a picture of what it is they want is a good start to a new life. It is never too early, nor too late, to start thinking about the future.