The student news site of Langham Creek High School

LC Howler

LC Howler

LC Howler

Alternative Processes in AP Photography

Breanna Maltez (11) Photo by Danielle Saucedo

In a creative twist on their typical photography class activities, students were introduced to papermaking. Students embarked on a short project that involved crafting their own paper and then printing their original photographs onto the paper. 

“I thought it was really cool because I’ve never even heard of making paper, so I was really excited,” senior Kassidy Johnson said. 

Initially, some were unsure about the project but later changed their minds. 

“At first, I didn’t really want to make it,” junior Cassandra Gutierrez,”After doing it, I actually enjoyed the process.” 

Some students had doubts but they began to fade over the week.

“I didn’t know how exactly this would work so I was just confused at first,” junior Breanna Maltez said. “When I got to start making it was a short and easy process that ended up being fun.”

The end result was that students could use that paper and print one of their own photos on it. 

“I think actually seeing my photo printed on the paper was what made me really happy,” Maltez said.

This was a great way for photography to be shown as a class that does more than just taking photos. 

“I wanted to change things up a little and I felt like this was a good way to keep it in the photo category too,” Photo teacher Mr. Smith said.

This idea was to encourage students to explore their creativity beyond traditional photography.

“The idea of the papermaking was that the students would make them, then print their photos on them so that it could all originally be by them,” Mr. Smith said. “I hope that they had fun and would still want to try things like this in the future.”