The student news site of Langham Creek High School

LC Howler

LC Howler

LC Howler

A Doctor in the Making

Alyssa+VanPortfleet
Hailey Vo
Alyssa VanPortfleet

From the moment children enter primary school, they are encouraged to choose dream careers of all kinds: to be an astronaut, a firefighter, a movie star. While these dreams usually fade due to changing interests and realism, one student has stayed true to her dream years after she first made it.

Junior Alyssa VanPortfleet has wanted to be a doctor since she was in fifth grade, and she has carried this aspiration into high school.

“My mom worked in the medical field when she was in the military and I really liked the experience of helping people, so I got a little bit of experience when I was helping her with my brothers because they got sick a lot and always injured themselves while playing sports,” Vanportfleet said. “I was like, ‘This is what I want to do when I’m older.’”

Inspired by her mother’s medical career, VanPortfleet took the initiative to be involved in organizations that would help her get closer to her goal.

“I participate in a lot of medical clubs; I’m in HOSA, I’m in Hands for Hope, I do clinicals,” VanPortfleet said. “And I took the medical pathway, so I took medical terminology, PHS [Principles of Health Science]-just things that can help me get a leg up in the medical field when I finally graduate.”

Specifically, VanPortfleet plans to become a neurologist.

“Right now I really wanna get my bachelor’s in neuroscience from UT Austin,” VanPortfleet said. “It’s a little far up, but hopefully I get my MD there as well.”

VanPortfleet demonstrates “qualities that those with great success possess,” which have been recognized by her instructors and peers.

“My first impression [of Alyssa] was, ‘Here is a kid with a great demeanor,’” Clinical Instructor and HOSA Sponsor Ronald Hebert said. “Ms. VanPortfleet has initiative, a drive to succeed, integrity, empathy, self-awareness, and a great sense of humor.”

Keeping a smile on her face, VanPortfleet approaches each day with great vigor and exhibits a willingness to learn. 

“She lacks any drop of apathy,” Mr. Hebert said. “She completes all work assigned with the highest level of effort possible. If she fails, which is quite rare, she learns from her mistakes and holds the view that she doesn’t want to repeat those same mistakes.”

VanPortfleet’s charisma, passion, and listening skills elevate her as a HOSA leadership team member and are “important traits for anyone seeking to enter healthcare.”

“More often than not patients will tell you exactly what is ailing them, but a healthcare provider has to be willing to listen with intent,” Mr. Hebert said. “The best providers also need to be able to engage a patient in their healthcare choices providing options and direction.  This student is on a path to incredible success.”

VanPortfleet has been described as an effective leader who always goes above and beyond in whatever she does.

“She’s definitely one of the top ones, I’d say,” junior Natalie Medrano said. “She can lead a group, and I think that’s an important trait to have, especially in a medical type of club.”

Despite a truly busy schedule, VanPortfleet never fails to lend a hand to her peers.

“She’s able to get things done; you can always count on her if you need something to be answered or you need something really quick,” Medrano said. “She’s always there if you need help, and she knows what to do.”

By having big dreams and working hard to reach them, VanPortfleet is sure to go places.

“I think that Alyssa has one of the brightest futures of any student that I have had the privilege to know and teach,” Mr. Hebert said. “I do mean privilege because that is what it has been to know her. I know that if in the future she does choose to travel the long and challenging path to become a physician I can confidently say I would gladly be a patient of hers.”