Volunteers of Langham Creek

Alexis Berkey

Emma Johnson and Landon Wright posing together

Volunteering: it’s important and fun. Many students volunteer all the time to help build houses, and help with school events, but some students volunteer to personally help people. Students volunteer throughout the week at Memorial Hermann to help out around the hospital.

Senior Emma Johnson volunteers at Memorial Hermann to help out with  patients and their family members who get lost.

“I really do enjoy going there,” Johnson said. “I feel like I can help the patients and their families by directing them and helping transport them throughout the building.”

Johnson shows patients and families around the hospital because it’s so big; she’s like a personal GPS that’s always around to help. Emma does not plan on pursuing a career in a hospital, but she does plan to continue helping people.

“I plan on working in the medical field as an athletic trainer,” Johnson said.

Although what Johnson does is very helpful, there are other exciting ways to volunteer, like what Senior Landon Wright does.

Wright volunteers in the trauma center at Memorial Hermann and also assists social workers when telling families negative news about their loved ones. Wright ends up doing a lot of small helpful activities.

“My official job consists of stocking the trauma room with lifesaving equipment, cleaning body fluids off of ER stretchers, and assisting ER physicians and trauma surgeons,” Wright said. “I also clear C-Spine fluid and remove back boards from patients after their C-Spine is cleared.”

The small things that Wright does are helpful to Memorial Hermann because it allows the nurses to spend more time helping patients rather than cleaning and stocking. The things Wright sees in the ER are also very exciting. Wright enjoys the thrill and the importance of what he does.

Volunteering is a fun, yet helpful activity that is encouraged among many students. Students who volunteer help others and themselves. Through Memorial Hermann’s volunteer program, students can better themselves and assist in saving lives.