Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

Numbers were drawn for lambs, goats, and swine at the Telge Exhibit Center for the CFISD FFA Lottery Draw on Wednesday, September 26th. 26 out of the total 404 students represented Langham Creek at the draw.

In the process, each student is placed on a numbered list in alphabetical order. A number will be drawn and that student will be the first to draw their lottery number. The draw order will then continue through the end of the list and wrap back to the start until all students have drawn.

“We do it this way to try to make it as fair as possible,” Agriculture teacher Cassie Klecka said. “It provides the most random order that we can get so everyone has an equal shot in getting a good or bad selection order number.”

Many students consider a low number to be ideal because they will have more animals to choose from, and in theory, they should get an animal with better conformation (body build). However, a high number doesn’t necessarily mean that the student is doomed to failure.

“We have found that students later in the draw have had great success because of the work they do in the barn compared to others that had lower picks,” Klecka said.  

Students will return to the Telge Exhibit Center to pick up their animals next week, and they will work with their animals for 4 months in preparation for the Livestock Show on February 7th-9th.