LC Howler

Preparation for CFISD Livestock Show

Back to Article
Back to Article

Preparation for CFISD Livestock Show

Instructor Mrs. Ord shears goat in preparation for Livestock show as Senior Gillian Barber watches.

Shaira C.

Shaira C.

Shaira C.

Evony McCutchen, A&E Co-editor

Fifty-five Langham Creek students are attending the annual CFISD Livestock Show February 7th – 9th. In order for students to participate in the show, there are specific criteria and preparations that need to be met.

In the instance that you are interested in the CFISD Livestock Show, want to find out more, or partake in the festivity, then these are the necessities: enroll in any agriculture course for at least one semester prior to the year you wish to join, must be an active member of FFA (Future Farmers of America), engage in other events such as UIL, purchase animals by the deadlines, and finally, have a proper area to place the purchased animal or utilize the district stables.

“The kids wake up and go to the barn at six in the morning, sometimes they are out there till ten at night,… everyday before school, after school, and on the weekends,” FFA teacher Mrs. Cassie Ord said. “It is a major commitment.”

The amount of time it takes to constantly tend, care for, and prepare an animal to be sold at the Livestock Show is extensive.

“We go over feeding plans with them on a regular basis,” Ord said. “Some students are self motivated and kind of do their own thing, some students want more specific instruction.”

No matter the kind of student you are, the FFA program is willing to adapt to the style you best learn from and will help you prepare for the Livestock. They often times hold meetings at the barn, a facility that is provided for those who do not have a place of their own to hold their purchased animal, in order for everyone to be on the same track in preparation for the Livestock Show.

“We have Showmanship Clinics that we hold,” Ord said. “We have one that we hire outside help with and then once a week when we go to the barn, any kid that wants to work with us in the arena, we work with them.”

The FFA program, here at Langham, provides many opportunities to develop their skills in cultivating their purchased animal in anticipation for the Show.

The Livestock Show may just be a few days event, but it is a year round preparation and the FFA members that contribute dedicate hours upon hours to their animals, it is a “major commitment”.