The student news site of Langham Creek High School

LC Howler

LC Howler

LC Howler

Exploring the Stars: From Classroom to NASA Internship

Junior selected for NASA SEES internship at the University of Texas
Raj+Sinha
Staff
Raj Sinha

In the vast expanse of the cosmos, there is a world of knowledge and possibilities waiting to be explored. For one young student, Raj Sinha, this world is not just a source of fascination but also a place to realize dreams. Raj, a dedicated and passionate junior, has achieved an incredible feat – he landed an internship with NASA at the University of Texas.

At first glance, Raj Sinha appears to be an ordinary Langham Creek High School student. But when he starts speaking about space, his voice resonates with a deep passion that instantly sets him apart.

“My journey into Earth Science stems from a deep-seated passion for understanding the world we live in,” Sinha said. ” I recognized the importance of NASA’s involvement in earth systems monitoring, making it a fitting avenue for my interests.”

His introduction to the NASA SEES internship opportunity was a pivotal moment, which was shown to him by his teacher who saw the potential in him.

“My introduction to the NASA SEES internship opportunity was thanks to Mr. Welsh, my computer science teacher, who provided me with an informational card and encouraged me to explore this unique organization,” Sinha said.

But what was it about this internship that pushed Raj to apply? 

“The NASA SEES internship piqued my interest for several reasons,” Sinha said. “It promised the opportunity to engage in genuine research, which aligned with my passion for understanding the world around us [and] I saw this as an ideal platform to involve myself with the organization I aspire to work with in the future.”

The moment of acceptance was more than just a milestone, it was the gateway to a world of endless possibilities. 

“Upon learning of my acceptance, I was undeniably thrilled, but my primary focus shifted towards the possibilities that this internship could open up,” Sinha said. “I felt a strong sense of excitement about exploring the potential achievements and experiences that awaited me.”

The internship itself is no ordinary venture. Sinha and his team embarked on a journey that blended scientific ingenuity with practical innovation.

“My team and I were responsible for designing and constructing a specialized payload to record atmospheric metrics on a high-altitude balloon,” Sinha said. “The primary objective of our project is to investigate how these metrics change during this recent solar eclipse in October and the upcoming one in April.

This quest for practical knowledge, for delving into the core of scientific exploration, is not merely a transient goal but rather a stepping stone towards his broader vision.

“During my internship at UT, I aspired to gain hands-on experience in conducting research and working with real-world data,” Sinha said. “The knowledge, skills, and opportunities I acquired during this internship were instrumental in achieving [a career in scientific research].”

Raj Sinha’s journey from the classroom to NASA’s SEES internship is a testament to the power of passion, dedication, and seizing opportunities. His story serves as an inspiration to all those who dare to dream beyond the stars, reminding us that with the right guidance and a thirst for knowledge, the sky is not the limit, but just the beginning.