Ms. Adams Leaving

Bethany Adams is a familiar name to many students here, and one that will be sorely missed. Ms. Adams will be leaving at the end of the school year to get a Masters degree in linguistics overseas in England.

“I’m saddened that she’s going away, not only because she was a great teacher, but because there won’t be any more students at Langham who can have her as one of their teachers,” senior and former student of Ms. Adams David Covington said.

However, Ms. Adams is not the only one who will be missed.

“I’ll miss my students,” Ms. Adams said. “Even on my crappiest days, my students can make my day way better just by you guys learning something, or by telling me something dumb that makes me laugh.”

These very same students feel that they have been impacted by Ms. Adams in more ways than one, more than just having fun in the classroom.

“She helped shape me further into a polite individual and allowed me to step slightly out of my shell in social interactions,” Covington said.

But what comes next, exactly, for Ms. Adams after she graduates?

“I definitely want to teach, whether its on the college level, or I come back to high school, or if I go teach abroad,” Ms. Adams said. “I’m not sure exactly what I want to do with it yet, but I know I will continue teaching.”

Of course, the good times and lessons she’s learned here herself will not easily be forgotten.

“I guess the biggest thing I’ve learned that would carry over to me as just a person, and not a teacher, is not to judge people at all,” Ms. Adams said. “‘Cause I’ve had students that come in, and if I saw them on the street I’d be like ‘Oo no’ but they are the kids that work so hard, and they overcome all these obstacles, or– you know– just not judging someone by the way that they look or the way that they speak, and to give them a chance to prove themselves through their actions.”

Last, but not least, this is not the end of our connections to Ms. Adams. Her words and teachings will always remain in the hearts of her students and herself.

“Be your true self, and speak your own truth,” Ms. Adams said. “Truth is everything about what you perceive it to be, so your truth may be different from my truth, but it doesn’t make it less true it just makes it a different perspective. So, I guess, don’t be afraid to speak what you believe, and not judge others for what they believe. Just speak what you judge to be true.”