Suicide Prevention

Suicide is not a topic to joke about. Suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death among teens and adults 15-24 years of age. Chances are, you have encountered someone who has suicidal thoughts or has previously harmed themselves.

We have recently held a “Suicide Prevention” presentation held by the counseling staff. Every grade level made an appearance in the auditorium for this event.

“If I can prevent someone from taking their life I don’t know why I shouldn’t step in and help,” sophomore Quan Dang said.

Students were encouraged to tell an adult if they know of someone who wants to harm themselves. 12 percent of people who received help from a suicide hotline say making the call for help saved their life.

“It’s disappointing when young people don’t take it seriously. It is a serious topic and you might be sitting next to someone that has been affected by suicide in capacity and you don’t even know,” an LCHS counselor said.

Many students were not taking this topic seriously which can affect people in many ways.

A survey in Boston, Massachusetts of 26,000 college students says that over half of the students have had suicidal thoughts.

“There’s a permanent solution to a temporary problem,” sophomore Joe Puccio said.

Everyone in their life at one point as come to the conclusion that life can flat out suck but in that you always have a support group like friends, family, teachers.

Always remember there is someone to talk to don’t keep your feelings in, your life matters and you are here on earth for a reason!